This Mississippi River, River Meander map print is a giclee reproduction and features the ancient courses of the Mississippi River created by cartographer and geologist Harold Fisk for the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. Each of the fifteen plates depicts a different portion of the Mississippi River and its various courses over time between Cape Girardeau, MO and Donaldsonville, LA. This map is Plate 22, Sheet 6 and features the area between Tunica County, MS and Phillips County, AR.
The third image you see above is all fifteen of the maps in this series superimposed over a map of the US. These maps are incredibly detailed, so if you're trying to locate a specific area, just send me a quick convo and I'll get back to you quickly.
While these prints are from yesteryear, we've remastered them with the touch ups necessary to restore them to their original glory as much as possible without losing the vintage nature of the artwork. We will be adding all fifteen of these stunning maps, so be sure to check back often.
ABOUT HAROLD FISK:
In 1944, Harold Fisk had been following ghosts for three years. His ghosts were of the meandering Mississippi. A river, big or small, doesn’t stay still – as its waters flow it carves out new paths in a route towards its ultimate destination.
Over time, the bends and curves of what seems like a static river snakes into new outlines. By looking at the geologic evidence, you can even map many of the paths a river once took – like looking at the past lives of the waters, the river’s ghosts.
In a report for the US Army Corps of Engineers, in 1944 Fisk had completed a mammoth effort entitled, “Geological Investigation of the Alluvial Valley of the Lower Mississippi River”. It was his best attempt at tracking the meanderings of the Mississippi’s present and past bends, visualized as gorgeous maps.
Of course, mapping over 2,000 miles of river and its previous structure based on the available physical evidence is a tall order (though Fisk completed the project in three years), so many of the colorful curves in Fisk’s maps are a combination of speculation, interpretation, and extrapolation. Nevertheless, his maps are an incredible visualization of a living river.
There are total of fifteen of these stunning Mississippi River maps, be sure to check them all out here:
OUR GICLEE PRINTS:
Your print(s) will be created using archival, fade-resistant, pigment inks, heavyweight, museum-quality paper and a 12-color process fine-art printer to ensure the most vivid, detailed and long-lasting print. To prevent fading, as with all prints, please never expose them to direct sunlight. To protect your investment, we recommend that you mat and frame your prints.
There is no mat or frame included with this print, other than the high quality basswood frames that come with our gallery wrapped canvas print options.
This Mississippi River, River Meander map print is offered in the following sizes: 8" x 12", 16" x 24", 24" x 36", and 40" x 60". The print you will receive will measure exactly the dimensions you ordered.
Our fine art paper and rolled canvas prints are carefully positioned with an approximate 1/8" white border on all sides for matting and framing adjustments. This may vary slightly based on the size of print you order and the size of the original image. If you would like a different size border, or need to know the exact border size, or a borderless print, just let me know in the "Notes To Seller" when you place your order.
GALLERY WRAPPED CANVAS PRINTS READY TO HANG WHEN THEY ARRIVE:
Our gallery wrapped canvas prints are a great solution if you want a finished print, ready to hang when it arrives on your doorstep. We stretch our high quality canvas over high quality basswood frames and use a mirrored edge that wraps around the 1 1/2" sides of the frame.
A mirrored edge is a "mirror" or repetition of the last 1 1/2" of the image on all four sides that wraps around the sides of the frame. If you would prefer a different treatment for the sides of your gallery wrapped canvas print, we can use just about any color, just send me a color swatch when you place your order in the "Notes to Seller" field.
We offer this print as a gallery wrapped canvas print in all of the sizes you see listed above. It's impossible to create a listing option with the correct pricing for large gallery wrapped canvas prints as the shipping costs vary greatly depending on the print size, weight, and the distance it must travel. Just let me know the size that interests you, along with your zip code and I’ll get back to you quickly with the investment required.
I ship worldwide in two business days after receiving your payment. We print your order on day 1, and let it cure for 24 hours, and we ship it on day two. Your prints are protected with Glassine wrapping and shipped in a rigid "Do Not Bend" mailer to ensure it arrives in the same condition as when it was shipped, and for larger sizes, we ship in a sturdy cardboard tube. Your print will arrive safely, or I will replace it.
BUY WITH CONFIDENCE | REVIEWS FROM RECENT CUSTOMERS:
"Great care and detail was taken to get this delivered in perfect condition. Seller is very professional. Thank you!"
"Fast shipping and very nice picture beautiful duplex! Thank you for your quick note accompanying the shipment."
"Five stars for a great etsy shop and owner! Reliable, fast, quality service!”
“Steve is a professional in his field. Beautiful work, excellent customer service! Thank you!”
I promise to refund 100% of your money if you are not completely delighted with your purchase, for ANY reason, however, we do expect you to pay for shipping.
Please feel free to convo me with any questions you may have about this vintage Mississippi River, River Meander map print.
See All Of Our Old Map Art Prints Here:
Travel back to my shop here:
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
1. INFORMATION I COLLECT
To fulfill your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorized Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom order, for example), if you contact me directly.
2. WHY I NEED YOUR INFORMATION & HOW I USE IT
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law;
3. INFORMATION SHARING & DISCLOSURE
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
- Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
- Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU. I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
4. YOUR RIGHTS
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Apart from exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
5. HOW TO CONTACT ME
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Steven Bunce, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may email me at email@example.com
Alternately, you may write to me at:
Steven Bunce, 5835 Dewey Street, Cheverly, MD 20785.
Most of our items can be produced as either a fine art giclee print on your choice of fine art papers, photo papers, or canvas. We also offer custom gallery wrapped canvas on many of our items. All of our products can be finished with either a matte, satin, or gloss finish.
Need a customized or personalized order? Just let me know what you're thinking and we'll get back to you quickly with our ideas.
We can even take YOUR image(s) and produce prints or a gallery wrapped canvas for you, as long as you own the copyright to the image(s), or have permission for us to print them. Just send me a quick convo and I will get back to you promptly.
Purchasing a gift? Just let me know and we'll be happy to include a complimentary handwritten gift card from YOU to your recipient. Be sure to let me know in "Notes To Seller" when you place your order. Additionally, we will not show any pricing to your recipient.
Whether you need one 8" x 10" print, or 350 wedding invitations, our studio is well equipped to handle your small run giclee printing needs with our state of the art equipment and techniques.
We print greeting cards, invitations of all types, fine art prints, and gallery wrapped canvas art prints using only the finest archival materials and processes.
Please note that we respect all copyright laws and best practices, and will only print your images or designs if you own the copyright to them, or have permission to have them printed by us.
Our pricing is very competitive and we guarantee our work 100%. Just send me a quick convo with your thoughts and we'll get back to you quickly.
We use the United States Postal Service (USPS) for all of our shipping. If you would like to use a different carrier, please let me know that when you place your order, and I will do my best to accomodate your needs.
Mar 1, 2018
This was a gift for my brother, who is an architect with an interest in history and topography. He loves it!
Dec 13, 2017
The poster came quickly and it was great quality. I had it framed as a gift for my husband and he loves it! We plan on getting more sections in the future!
Jul 2, 2017
Arrived very carefully packaged and very quickly. It's really nice quality print.